Saturday, February 5, 2011

It's snowing and heavily

Well, maybe not now. But it was last night. So we have nearly 2 feet of snow in our yard. It's been snowing all week, and it's supposed to snow more tomorrow and Wednesday. And here I thought we weren't going to get serious snow this year. I adore snow. It's such a felicitious sort of weather.

But on the downside of things, still no book. And it's the second month of the year. No recipes means no baking or cooking. The library will only let you keep the book for so long.

Recently, my Mom and I went shopping. We went to a used bookstore (I bought a hardback copy of Gone With the Wind. I've only been looking for a hardback copy ever since I read it 4 years ago. Proof that good books are hard to come by.) and looked all through Whole Foods (the temptation to just *buy* things there was overwhelming. Pasta noodles, olive oil, tea, salmon, cheese (even though I don't like to eat cheese by itself) and fresh fruit.....). Then we ventured to P.F. Chang's for lunch. After that exquisite meal (really- how can you go wrong with beef lo mein, garlic snap peas, and lettuce wraps? You just can't.) we looked around the square at all the different shops. Williams Sonoma. And guess what we found at Williams Sonoma? 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking' by Julia Child. (Along with a bevy of other cooking wonders and things we wanted to take home but didn't have 200 dollars to spend on a single pasta pot.) The book was 40 dollars. I am not willing to spend 40 dollars on a book. Not even this book. Something in me rebels at the thought. There was a faint glimmer of a hope of owning it, however, as we found a damaged one. The dust cover was torn and about a third of the book was warped, like it had been dropped in water. We asked the sales clerk of they'd be willing to knock the price down. They would... but only by 20 percent. So we walked out without the book.
Nevertheless, it was a superb, gorgeous shopping day.
Even if we still don't own the book we need to start our project.

The snow outside is so gorgeous, and our house is so warm. In fact, we're all still in our pajamas (sort of... I never actually got dressed for bed last night, so I'm in my lounging clothes from yesterday.) and Mom and I are watching 'Julie and Julia' again. Butter. Mushrooms, chicken, and port. Bruschetta. Beouf Bourguignon. Bread. Tomatoes. I'm hungry. I want to eat lobster dipped in butter.

But instead of boring you with more news of nothing whatsoever, I'm going to go finish my movie and contemplate whether or not I want to go out in the cold snow. Then I'll contemplate snow ice-cream, chocolate chip cookies, and hot chocolate with Irish cream.

Here's a Frenchish thing for you to hear as I sign off.

Bon Appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment