Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Book

has yet to be purchased. Believe it or not, it's harder to come by a hardback copy than you'd think... without ordering online, of course, which we'd rather leave as a last resort. Thankfully, a local used bookstore (while new books are nice, there's something comfortable about a used book. Instead of being careful with it, you can treat it like an old friend.) has assured us that they get it in fairly often, and we should check back within a week. However, if worst comes to worst, we can always go to Barnes & Noble in town, where the book is ridiculously overpriced, but still in hardback.

Until then, I've been peeking through the pages available for viewing on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Art-French-Cooking-Vol/dp/0375413405 The first 30+ pages are full of instructions- what supplies you'll need, common ingredients, and something which brought me much joy- words in French! It tells you what each common ingredient's name is in French. I can't pronounce a French word to save my life, but I don't mine sounding silly while I let my tongue try to sound it out. 

I'm not sure if Mother plans on going through the book in order or not, but I must confess that I have a deep longing to go straight to Beef Bourguignon. Y.U.M. Just looking at it makes my mouth water and my stomach growl. Plus it's just fun to say- Beef Bourguignon. Beef Buorguignon. It makes your mouth feel sophisticated and French.

Today, rather than cook anything from 'Mastering the Art of French Cooking', I'll probably make a batch or two of puppy chow- which is admittedly delicious (though devoid of French appeal) and wish it could be Beef Bourguignon, which would be perfect on a cold day like today.

So, off I go, wearing purple knee socks with my pajamas and singing some song about looking at life through rose-colored glasses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsMIuuV05uc) to make puppy chow for my puppy-chow loving siblings and Daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment